PLAY it safe on the playground
Falls account for more than 75 percent of all playground-related injuries, making them the most common type. Lack of supervision or improper supervision is associated with approximately 45 percent. The Kohl's Cares Grow Safe & Healthy program, along with Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, has developed an injury-prevention checklist to help keep children safe on the playground.
Following these guidelines will offer hours of safe, playground fun. Remember to "PLAY" it safe when you are on the playground.
"P" is for Play appropriately:
- Never push or roughhouse while on jungle gyms, slides, swings and other equipment.
- Always slide feet first, avoid climbing outside of railings and barriers, and stay seated on swings.
- Leave bikes, backpacks, and bags away from the playground equipment so no one trips over them.
- Ensure that children use age appropriate playground equipment.
"L" is for Loose clothing or untied shoelaces (a hazard at any age):
- Loose clothing or strings – drawstrings on sweatshirt hoods -- can also present an accidental strangulation hazard and could easily get caught on playground sets.
- If you see a child with her shoes untied, help her out with a double knot. If you have young children at home who cannot tie shoes, the best shoes for playing outdoors may be well-fitting shoes with elastic or Velcro closure.
"A" is for Active adult supervision:
- Active supervision means freeing yourself of distractions like cellphones that might prevent you from noticing if your child is in an unsafe situation.
- Check that the equipment is safe before your children start to play on it.
- Be sure nothing is broken and no sharp objects stick out.
"Y" is for Your playground surfaces:
- Safer surfaces include mulch, pea gravel and shredded rubber.
- Avoid asphalt, concrete, grass and soil surfaces.
- Make sure that playground equipment is dry to avoid slipping.
- Check for any hazards.
The Kohl’s Cares Grow Safe & Healthy Program
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Kohl's Cares® share the mission of keeping kids in our community safe, healthy and injury free. That's why, together, they developed Kohl's Cares Grow Safe & Healthy, a community injury-prevention program that provides a trusted educational resource for safety in the home, outdoors and on the go. The program includes an informative website, a popular game app for kids called Keep Spriggy Safe -- available on iTunes or Google Play, and a Mobile Tour Unit that facilitates injury-prevention outreach and education at community events.